Tin Can Turbine 1st flame test..

Well the title kinda speaks for itself. I wish the results were more impressive, but at least the video has fire in it.  Enjoy : )

Ok….the bad:

Too much fuel…..thats obvious

Too much mechanical friction. The re-worked compressor lost a blade which fouled the mechanism. A new re-re-worked compressor will be constructed. Also, attempts to reduce friction and weight of the turbine shaft and fans will be re-thunked. Yes, I’m inventing new words….I’m aware.

And Conversely….the good:

All of the materials used are actually withstanding these temperatures well.

We have a better starting proceedure

The fuel system (so far) seems quite adequate.

More to come when refinements are accomplished…..

Advertisements

5 comments on “Tin Can Turbine 1st flame test..

  1. Garth says:

    I am attempting this feat as well but have had no luck. I’m not giving up though I am having bearing problems they melt down way before blade failure / or full spooling up. What are you using? mine is a 1/4 inch hss ground shaft with .250 ID and .500 OD ball bearings no lube and no sheilds. I have 2 bearing’s holding the shaft and 3 fan blades. The exhaust fan bearing is always the one that goes (high temp) melted
    Garth

  2. Hi Garth,

    Good to hear others are trying. I set mine aside for a moment to attend to other pojects but will revamp and try again when the time presents itself. My bearings are quite simply a flat plate of steel with the central shaft a fraction smaller mounted through it. Can’t get much more simple than this. My main issue isn’t yet with the bearing failing or siezing, as it is with it losing alignment and binding. This should be easy to repair. Then after a run of a few minutes, I should be able to guage the their durability. I’m trying to follow the kalishnikov design mind frame in this project….in that, in some edeavours, crude but effective is better then over complicated. Not sure if its gonna work here though!

  3. ….please forgive my horrendous spelling! lol…. was typing too fast.

  4. Garth says:

    Thanks for the response . So your bearings are pretty much non existant than? Maybe i will try that instead of the roller bearings ( a brass bushing perhaps?)
    Keep it up! i beleive this can be done for under 20 bucks.
    Garth

    • You are absolutely right, I think it can be accomplished, and in an easier to construct method than most would think. I would recommend that the roller bearings in the compressor “intake” end could still be roller bearing,but the exhaust (high temp) location bearing could simply be a bushing as you mentioned. As I said, a simple thin flat plate of steel that acted as a bearing was all I used with the shaft passing thru it. The thinner it is, the less contact it really makes with the shaft, and hence, less friction results. Sometimes we tend to really over-engineer things. With these bearings I was getting the machine to spool up like a dentists pneumatic drill, so they can run quite smoothly. Please feel free to keep me posted on your progress, and as soon as get back to refining my compressot fan, I will add more as well. Good luck!! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s